“What attracts you to work in our company?”: We understand where the applicant’s stupor comes from when the recruiter asks this question, and how to get rid of it (from the stupor, not the recruiter).
I went for an interview and everything was fine until the recruiter asked: “Why do you want to work with us?” I didn’t expect this, so I hesitated and thought. And then the interlocutor noted something in his papers, and I was completely confused and, it seems, uttered nonsense.
Now I’m waiting for an answer, I’m worried. Have I ruined everything? I don’t want to get into such situations anymore. What should I do?
Why the problem occurs
The reason why the question “Why do you want to work with us?” / “Why did you choose our company?” has driven you into a dead-end, maybe a few:
- Too much excitement when meeting with a recruiter. Of course, the interview is a responsible business and it would be strange if you weren’t worried at all. But if you do not take control of your feelings, you can stumble on any question.
- Insufficient preparation for the interview. Many articles of Work.ua about interviews repeat the advice “Answer to a meeting with a recruiter”. And this is really important because you need to figure out why you want to work in a certain company precisely at the stage of preparing for the interview when you are looking for information about the employer and are convinced that the company is right for you.
- Inattention in choosing vacancies for recall. It happens that to find a new job as soon as possible, the applicant places a stake on quantity rather than quality and starts sending a resume for all vacancies in a row – something will shoot. And then they call you from the company, invite you for an interview and you, of course, agree. And what kind of company, what kind of vacancy – it is not clear, you just sent 30 resumes yesterday. Telling a recruiter “I want to work for you because you invited me for an interview” is also not very good, so you have to write on the go.
For those who once did not find what to answer the question “Why do you want to work with us?” and no longer want this experience:
- Please read vacancies carefully before submitting your resume. Make sure that not only the salary and responsibilities are right for you, but the company itself. Before applying, we advise you not only to carefully read the vacancy again but also to go to the company’s page. There you will find general information about the company, a link to its website, as well as photos and videos about working for the company.
- Your resume has been submitted and has you been invited for an interview? So you need to prepare. Dig deeper – go to the website and social networks of the company, if you haven’t done so before, look for additional data on the Internet. But be careful and filter information.
- Prepare your answer in advance. Before the interview, it is better to think through the answers to frequently asked questions and “Why do you want to work with us?” Is one of them.
- Try to worry less in the interview. Preparing to meet with a recruiter will already make it less stressful. It will also help you to worry less knowing that the interview is an ordinary business meeting, it does not depend on its outcome whether you live or die, so you can relax.
For those who are already sitting in front of the recruiter and frantically looking for an answer to the question “Why do you want to work with us?”:
- Exhale and calm down, the situation is difficult but not hopeless.
- To begin with, take a short pause, drink some water, by winning a few seconds you will allow your brain to find the right answer or at least a thread to grab onto. For example, consider what the job post said about corporate culture.
- Use the information you received during the interview. In the beginning, the recruiter talked about the company, remember what you liked and what coincidences in values you noticed. What opportunities for your development in the company HR described, if they suit you, mention that too.
- Don’t lie or compose on the go. Let your answer be concise rather than insincere.
So what to say.
Here are some examples of how to answer the question “Why do you want to work with us?”.
✅ “I always wanted to work for a large company with a rich history. I think I’m ready for this already. ” / “I would like to grow professionally and develop together with the company. I am confident that I will have this opportunity in your startup. ”
✅ “The projects that you develop seem to be really valuable and necessary for people. I’ll be happy to join. ”
✅ “I am impressed by your company’s commitment to helping people. I read about your charity program on social media and would like to be involved in such a good cause. ”
✅ “I love that you, as an employer, care about employees. When I came to your office, I was only convinced of this. ”
✅ “I liked your company’s website …” (Tell us why.)
✅ “I have a lot of ideas that I would like to implement right here. From our conversation, I understood that you give employees creative freedom and support their endeavors. This is important to me. ”
And the main advice from us: go to interviews in the company where you definitely want to work, and there will be no difficulties with answers to such questions.